Wednesday 15 June 2011

Movie Draft vs Final Draft

I hope this doesn't come across as blunt or harsh, as it's not meant to, but I get some emails from people saying things like "Movie Draft doesn't have the X feature of Final Draft" or "Final Draft has Y feature and I absolutely MUST have that feature before I can use Movie Draft!" - and so on.

This puzzles me somewhat.

Firstly, Movie Draft is NOT Final Draft. Period. It may share the word "draft", and I may have also provided the ability for you to open and save Final Draft files, but that's as a courtesy only. After all, Movie Draft can also open Microsoft Word documents, but people don't write in saying that the pie-chart feature in MS Word is missing in Movie Draft. Strangely enough.

Secondly, Movie Draft is brand-new software. It's at v1.0 and has been out for a couple of months at the time of writing. Final Draft is at v8 at time of writing and has been out for 10+ years or so. I do have many ideas and features that I want to implement into Movie Draft - not necessarily ones that Final Draft has - but that takes time.

Lastly, if people are wanting Movie Draft to be like Final Draft, why not just buy Final Draft?

Ultimately, Movie Draft is not a "cheap" version of Final Draft. Movie Draft is non-linear screenwriting software in its own right and works in a completely different way to Final Draft - on purpose. If you don't "get it" or haven't yet seen the 15 minute introduction video on my website then please do as it goes through some of the differences and benefits between using Movie Draft over a conventional word processor in a visual way.

Keep writing.

Mark.
www.moviedraft.com

10 comments:

  1. Hello, Mark. My name is Damián and I´m from Spain. I´d like to purchase your MovieDraft. I liked very much you introduction video. And i find MovieDraft really appealing. The only problem is that i write in spanish. Do you think that´s a problem since the autocomplete system just work for english? Tell me honestly if you still recommend me to purchase MovieDraft, please.
    Thank you so much and Good Luck with MovieDraft!

    Damián

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adrián.

    At the moment, the auto-complete is English only but this will change in a future version. I apologise for the delay, I hadn't even seen this post because I had "moderated" posts turned on but I wasn't receiving any notifications! I've turned it odd now.

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mark, these people are fooling themselves man, the way I see it, the film industry is alive and well... and so is Apple. Combing those two facts I am sure you realize that the market is yours for the taking! I am a 22 year old student who is an aspiring screenwriter myself and I cant tell you how absurdly stoked I am that your program exists. There are alot of young writers out there like me with Macs, hundreds of thousands of us lookin for a clean, elegant, Apple chic' (if you will) program to write with. You have created this, and you are the man! Now just keep the updates coming and you will be right as rain. Quality, brilliance, and effort speak for themselves and you have delivered these aspects swimmingly from what I can tell thus far. I am as excited as you to see the thousands of 5 star reviews you will have soon as long as you keep up the good work and dont let the goofy-minded scrubs get you down.

    P.S. I will move to LA in 10 days and so long as your program operates this great, and so long as you keep your customers informed and apprised (that includes tutorial videos) ; I will be out there telling every single young writer I meet that they are doing themselves a diservice if they aren't using Movie Draft. I know your a busy man and your making as much effort as you can to Movie Draft; and that is why your program will become the Industry Standard of a new generation of creators.

    Sincerely,
    Sageun

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried Movie Draft recently. I like that Movie Draft looks very "Mac-like". Final Draft is terrible, visually. But I think you should work on adding some of Final Draft's features to MovieDraft. People choose MovieDraft maybe because Final Draft is so overpriced.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I own both your product and FD, as it is the industry standard, but as yours can be exported or opened as an FDX file, I cannot understand what complaints it could be attracting. The fact that it cost a tenth of the price of FD is a huge plus! I also think the colour differences help a great deal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just purchased movie trapped I was very impressed with your demo video recommended it to a few friends and I also purchased it . but there is 1 problem each time I open a script it tells me I have an invalid key so my question is is it necessary to always be online to make the program work and what should I do with my key that one time on lock the program

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi TG,

    Thank you for your support and for spreading the word about Movie Draft. Not sure why you called it Movie Trapped though...?

    I have created a post about this problem you are experiencing which has a work-around until I release a fix for this problem:

    http://www.moviedraft.com/us/forum/i-keep-losing-registration-keys-when-restarting-my-machine-how-c/

    ReplyDelete
  8. P.s. please do contact me off list via my website with your order number and I'll get your available keys amended.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love Movie Draft!

    ReplyDelete