Tuesday 13 December 2011

Time, sand and the gaps between my fingers

Where to start... Hmm...

Well, some of you may have began to think that I had fallen off the face of the earth, and in some ways I guess I had, so I thought it best to write something just in case you'd figured that I'd given up, ran away to Alaska to live in a bus or turned into jam. (That's UK-jam, not US-jelly.)

Luckily, none of the above have yet to happen. Which is good. Jam wouldn't be at all welcome in my current trying-not-to-eat-sugar-apart-from-cheesecake way of life.

The truth is, a few months ago (well, actually it was back in April 2011 which is a loooong time ago by now - especially if you're reading this in 2016) I started on a slow but steady downward spiral of depression. Not "started" like it was on purpose, like consciously being on a diet or anything, but that it started happening to me (I guess that's a better way to describe it) and like a slow-motion bull in a china shop, there was no stopping it and a lot of glass had to break before it finally reared its head and exited.

I won't go into the ins and outs of what caused it all, (you can't be *that* interested) but suffice to say that after many, many months of treatment (both mentally and physically through rest, relaxation, diet and acupuncture) I am now free of the proverbial black dog and back on my feet cleaning up the glass.

So what?

Good question. Well, some of you may have already put two and two together and figured out that there have been no updates to Movie Draft since March, that the website wasn't released as planned, and I didn't make $500,000 by selling a script to Warner Bros... Or did I? Dun dun duuuuuuun. No, no I didn't. But it'd be a good rumour to spread all the same.

So?: Yes, I am still here. Yes, I am back in the saddle developing Movie Draft. Yes, the website is actually nearly finished. Yes, it will be released in the new year. Yes, you will then be able to download a new beta and contribute to Movie Draft's development. (Finally.) Yes, I did also lose my job during my depression and yes that was the best thing that could ever have happened to me and Movie Draft's development. (Although yes, at the time it stank like a skunk full of bees.)

I'm sorry if you felt that I let you down in any way, but I am now completely developing Movie Draft full-time with no other job / time constraints to worry about and it feels like I'm finally breathing again.

I can't wait to show you all what I've been working on, what ideas I've got planned and for you to be able to share you ideas for what *you'd* like planned for Movie Draft's development through the website's community and bug tracking tool.

As is always the case when you feel you're taking your first steps into unknown lands, these are exciting times indeed.

Thanks for sticking with me. I appreciate it.

Keep writing.

Mark.
www.moviedraft.com

18 comments:

  1. All the best to you in your recovery. I've been there. It's horrible. Glad you're still out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just glad you're okay... Depression is a heavy bear of an illness, and glad you made it out through therapy, etc.

    Movie Draft is great... Luckily, it's not a buggy POS software and can stand on it own without needing drastic updates.

    But if you need a beta tester, I'm here :)

    --Snickers McFlurry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. I appreciate your support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad everything's finally working out at last. Been there, done that, and I feel for you, son. Never again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've all been there, glad ur back

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes the Universe kicks us out of our jobs to free us up to work on what we really came here to do. Nice to see you survived!

    Still using SceneWriter Pro v3.5.3 on PC. Looks like I should have bought myself a mac for Christmas vs. my daughter.

    Good luck with Movie Draft this go around!

    Cheers, Susette

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Susette: So *you're* the one who bought SceneWriter Pro. ;-) Don't worry about the Mac, there's a Windows version of Movie Draft on the way...

    Thank you all for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any word on at least a bug fix release for the copy/paste problem?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Greg. Yes. This has been fixed and is ready to be rolled out into the beta when the website is release.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mark great! Just bought a copy...looking forward to the updates.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ....ah....it took me a while to find this. Glad to hear you are feeling better. I really hope you keep at this because this program has a great deal of potential. I've been a screenwriter since 1985 and I would love to find an alternative to Final Draft - most important to me in the area of notes....which I think I could LOVE in your program. So far I've had some glitches in this area but it could be my clumsiness. I will wait to discuss this with you when you are done with the new version if it's necessary at that time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mark, I support you! That's very honest to share what's been happening in your life. I just purchased Movie Draft SE from the App Store. In all honesty, I bought it because Final Draft wanted $80 bucks to update my copy to work with Lion! Your app is incredibly well designed. Keep up the outstanding development. Remember, remarkable products sell themselves. Don't worry about the negative reviews posted by competitors. Keep your product outstanding, and you will never be without customers! Thank you! And hope you continue to feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mark, glad you're doing better, and glad to see you back in your game, sir.

    Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Again, thanks guys for your support. Means a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Guys, thought you'd be interested to know that the new website is... now... LIVE!

    http://www.moviedraft.com/uk/forum/welcome-to-the-real-world/

    Additionally, the Windows version of Movie Draft is also available:

    http://www.moviedraft.com/uk/forum/movie-draft-for-windows-released/

    And finally, the long awaited v1.0.2 of Movie Draft is available which fixed a few annoying bugs.

    All the best,

    Mark.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi. Just found out about this software. Learning about it, watching the video. Surprisingly quick to pick up. Have been using demo. Nice nice nice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi - I am trying to use the software I bought, but it will no longer register with the server. Is there any way around this? Thanks, Clive Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi I am trying to purchase Movie Draft software but cannot get access to your website. What can I do? I am running Windows.

    ReplyDelete